Taste of Bordeaux
DATES (2018): Oct 4, 11, 18, 25 | Nov 1*, 8 – W, 15 – W
(2019): Mar 28 | Apr 4, 11 – W, 18 – W, 25 | May 2, 9, 23 | Jun 13, 20, 27 | Jul 11, 18, 25 | Aug 1 – W, 8, 15, 22 – W | Sep 5, 12, 19 | Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 | Nov 7 – W, 14 – W
W= Wine Cruise *Free Air
DURATION: 8 DAYS/7 NIGHTS
Your cruise begins in Bordeaux, the capital of Aquitaine in Southwestern France and one of the world’s undisputed wine capitals. You’ll discover stately chateaux, abundant vineyards and stunning scenery as you sail along the Garonne River and its surrounding estuaries, calling upon port cities like Cadillac, Bourg and Libourne. Enjoy tastings of some of the region’s most distinguished wines and visit notable sights before concluding your journey.
- Sauternes wine tasting and Roquetaillade Castle
- Bourg Festival of wine and music
- Bordeaux bike tour
- Saint Emilion excursion and Grand Cru Classé wine tasting
On our cruises, you will enjoy an extensive lineup of included tours. In many cases, you will have a choice of excursions, such as standard tours, bike tours, hikes and Special Interest Tours. We always include a large variety of activities so that you can choose how you want to explore. No matter your preference, your days will be full of discovery and wonder.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Wellness Program with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All on board dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain’s Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Daily Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Beverages other than those mentioned
- Gratuities to crew and Cruise Director – Suggested 15 Euros per guest, per day
- Items of personal nature, gift shop purchases
- Pre and post cruise extensions and hotels
- Travel Insurance
Welcome to Bordeaux, where you’ll board your luxurious river cruise. Meet your fellow passengers this evening during a delectable Welcome Dinner.
Arrive this afternoon in Cadillac, a region renowned for its sensational white wines. Today you will visit the Sauternes wine region, where you’ll taste the highly sought-after sweet wines made here. Afterwards, you will see historic Roquetaillade Castle, which is one of the most impressive castles in Europe. It is almost perfectly preserved and still owned by the original noble family that has possessed it for hundreds of years.
Today, you will enjoy a panoramic tour of the lovely village town on the Left Bank of the Gironde estuary known as Pauillac. Situated in the famed Médoc AOC (appellation d’origine contrôlée, a government controlled destination of origin which signifies where grapes are grown), Pauillac’s gravelly soils are renowned for producing some of the world’s finest Bordeaux wines – especially those made from the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grape varietals. You’ll be able to taste local at an authentic Grand Cru Classé wine tasting and also have free time to explore Pauillac – we will be docked here overnight.
PAUILLAC – BLAYE – BOURG
Take in the riverside scenery this morning as we make our way from Pauillac to Blaye. North of Bordeaux, this small town is best known for its red wine and historic military significance. You’ll have your choice of two activities. The first is an excursion to the city’s 17th century citadel – a UNESCO World Heritage Site – that was built by famous military engineer Vauban. From the top of this famous fortress, you can admire fantastic views of the impressive Gironde estuary. The second is a bike tour on which you will wind your way through vineyards, see amazing châteaux and cross Santiago’s path, a famo
us pilgrimage route from the middle ages. Return to the ship for a delicious lunch and prepare for an afternoon in Bourg, to which you can cruise or bike. The bike tour will take you along the “Captain’s Road,” a scenic coastal path that leads to Bourg sur Gironde. Ideally situated at the confluence of the Dordogne and Garonne, this historic village still lives inside medieval walls. Built during Roman times and later fortified by the English, it is filled with rich architectural tradition. Afterwards, enjoy an exclusive festival of music and wine from the appellation of Cotes du Bourg. The ship will remain here overnight.
BOURG – LIBOURNE
This afternoon, you’ll arrive in the winemaking capital of Libourne. Two of Bordeaux’s most elite wine regions are very close by – Saint Emilion and Pomerol. You can either enjoy a Grand Cru Classé wine tasting and a visit to the Underground Churches (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) in St Emilion, as well as a panoramic tour of Pomerol, or join a guided bike tour through the vineyards of both towns followed by a wine tasting. This evening, indulge in a special Captain’s Gala dinner. The ship moors overnight in Libourne.
LIBOURNE – BORDEAUX
Start your adventure today with a tour of the magnificent Château Vayres, located on the banks of the Dordogne River. As an alternative you can visit a well-preserved local bastide town, which was fortified during medieval times. This afternoon, you will have the option of a Fronsac wine tasting, or to visit Château de Montaigne, a stunning 14th century castle that was the family residence of the philosopher, Michel de Montaigne. We sail to Bordeaux this evening.
Today you’ll see the elegant port city of Bordeaux. The breathtaking capital of the wine world is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and, with over 360 historic monuments within its borders, it is also classified as a “City of Art and History.” You’ll have an opportunity to experience much of the rich culture and architecture here, including a tasting at the Wine Museum. You will see sights like the Pont de Pierre Bridge, Quinconces Monumental Square and the famed water mirror, Mirroir d’eau. Those seeking a more active way to see the city can join a guided bike tour instead. Afterwards, you will have free time to explore the town on your own. A spectacular Farewell dinner awaits you tonight, and the ship will stay in Bordeaux.
BORDEAUX – DISEMBARKATION
Your cruise comes to an end as you prepare for your homeward flight.