FALKLANDS, SOUTH GEORGIA AND ANTARCTICA СRUISES
In the Falkland Islands, where birdlife abounds, we discover easily accessible albatross and penguin rookeries on idyllic island farmsteads. In South Georgia, amidst the dramatic Southern Ocean seascape, we find world-famous wildlife beaches thronged with jousting elephant seals, raucous fur seals, and stately king penguins. In the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula we explore a pristine polar wilderness of singular beauty, complete with bustling penguin colonies, dauntless seals, and voracious whales. On this ultimate wildlife expedition, each destination is more amazing than the last.
DATES – Nov 04-25 2017
Jan 01-23 2018; Nov 05-27 2018;
Jan 03-25 2019; Feb 24-Mar 19 2019
DURATION – 22-24 days
EMBARKATION – Ushuaia (Argentina)
DISEMBARKATION – Ushuaia
SHIP – M/V Sea Spirit
THE FALKLAND ISLANDS
The windswept and treeless Falkland Islands are a birders’ paradise. The islands boast a great abundance and diversity of birdlife including five species of penguin, 80 percent of the world’s population of black-browed albatross, and numerous species of waterfowl such as the endemic Falkland steamerduck.
SOUTH GEORGIA ISLAND
The island of South Georgia is the world’s premier destination for subantarctic wildlife viewing. In this remote and stunningly beautiful wilderness, seabirds and marine mammals are counted in the millions. The island’s beaches are packed with fur seals and elephant seals jostling for space alongside innumerable king penguins.
The Antarctic Peninsula is the ultimate polar wilderness. There is nothing else like it on Earth. Lofty serrated mountain ranges, all-encompassing glaciers, icebergs of every size and shape, and nutrient-rich waters define this pristine environment inhabited by robust populations of penguins, seals, and whales.
Day 1: Arrive Buenos Aires, Argentina
You will be met and transferred to your deluxe hotel. Remainder of the day is free.
Day 2: Buenos Aires Tour
Enjoy a full day tour of Buenos Aires, “Paris of South America”, arranged exclusively for Explor Cruises’ guests. Visit the unique neighborhoods of San Telmo, Recoleta, La Boca, Puerto Madero and Palermo. Lunch is included. This evening, you will be taken to a Dinner & Tango Show at Tango Porteño, Includes round trip transfers and a tango lesson of 1hr before the dinner. Return to your hotel late.
Day 3: Flight to Ushuaia, Argentina.
This afternoon, transfer to the city airport for your included flight to Ushuaia. Transfer to your hotel upon arrival. The small city of Ushuaia combines everything to be a perfect starting point for Antarctic cruises. It locates at the southern tip of South America Continent and is regarded as the world’s southernmost city. Being the capital of Tierra del Fuego archipelago Ushuaia boasts the southernmost Tierra del Fuego National Park and beautiful landscapes of Beagle Bay and Andes mountains.
Day 4: Ushuaia, embarkation.
In the afternoon we embark the Sea Spirit and set sail down the scenic Beagle Channel.
Day 5: At sea.
Escorted by seabirds and whales the Sea Spirit makes its way to the Falkland Islands.
Day 6-7: The Falklands.
The Falkland Islands are a small country of moors and rugged coastlines carved by the South Atlantic, where the wildlife and plant life form a link between Patagonia and Antarctica. On the beaches of the islands elephant seals are a spectacular sight when battling to establish territories at the start of the breeding season or even simply relaxing at the sea. Sea lions and fur seals are also easily seen around the Islands. As many as a million penguins nest in the Falklands every summer, representing five of the world’s seventeen species – king, gentoo, rockhopper, Magellanic and macaroni.
The capital of the Falklands, Port Stanley, is the southernmost British outpost. Together with many reminders of its British heritage such as red phone boxes and English pubs the town boasts more unusual sights like a whalebone arch and many shipwrecks along the coast.
Day 8-9: At sea.
Clear your camera’s memory as we sail towards the “capital” of Antarctic wildlife.
Day 10-13: South Georgia.
South Georgia is an unmissable destination within Antarctica. This sub-Antarctic region is a peak emerging from the Scotia Arc, an underwater mountain chain that extends the Andes to the Antarctic Peninsula. This long and narrow, whale bone shaped island is a home to:
- Four seal species – southern elephant seal, Antarctic fur seal, Weddell seal, and leopard seal.
- Several whale species – southern right whales, humpbacks, fin whales, sperm whales, killer whales orcas, and southern bottlenose whales.
- Antarctic seabirds, about 46% of the world’s breeding population of grey headed albatrosses; northern giant petrels, white chinned petrels and Antarctic prions. Most of the world’s population of the South Georgia blue eyed shags live there, some 7,500 pairs.
- Penguins – around half the world’s population of macaroni penguins, along with 100,000 pairs of Gentoo penguins and about 6, 000 breeding pairs of Chinstrap penguins.
- The most attractive residents of the South Georgia are King penguins with their orange-yellow crowns. The total number of King penguins is around 400,000 breeding pairs.
Day 14-15: Scotia Sea.
Our invited experts on Antarctic wildlife, history and geology give lectures and presentations preparing us for the meeting with wild spaces of the Sixth Continent.
Day 16-20: The Antarctic Continent and the South Shetlands.Our Captain and Expedition Leader will do their best to show you all the faces of Antarctica. We hope to tick off 5 penguin /6 seal / several whale species in Antarctic check-list. While cruising along narrow Antarctic waterways we admire huge icebergs of different shapes, sizes and colors. We visit scientific stations representing several different countries and learn about Antarctic scientific researches straight from the source. Of course setting foot on the actual Antarctic Continent is also on agenda.
Day 21-22. Crossing the Drake Passage.
This last sea passage separates the magic world we’d discovered from the rest of the world, where we will be in several days. Use these days to refresh your memories and bid farewell to birds and whales you identify easily now.
Day 23. Disembarkation in Ushuaia.
Our morning disembarkation in Ushuaia is followed by group transfer to the airport. Or you may stay at the city center, if you plan a longer stay in Ushuaia
ULTIMATE WILDLIFE EXPEDITION - Sea Spirit - Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica
|SUITE - RATES PER PERSON||REGULAR RATES |
Nov 04 2017
|EXPLOR CLUB RATE|
Nov 04 2017
|REGULAR RATES |
Jan 01, 2018
|REGULAR RATES |
Nov 05 2018
Nov 05 2018
Jan 03 2019
Jan 03 2019
Feb 24 2019
Feb 24 2019
|MAIN DECK SUITE||$18,195||$16,525||$21,095||$19,495||$17,695||$22,995||$20,845||$19,495||$17,695|
|DELUXE BALCONY SUITE||$21,295||$18,325||$26,795||$23,395||$20,110||$27,495||$23,595||$23,395||$20,110|
|PREMIUM BALCONY SUITE||$22,495||$19,345||$28,095||$24,995||$21,470||$29,495||$25,295||$24,995||$21,470|
- Arrival transfer in Buenos Aires;
- Two nights at luxury hotel;
- Full Day City Tour;
- Evening Tango Dinner Show;
- Transfer to City Airport;
- Flight to Ushuaia;
- Pre-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia;
- Group transfers from the airport to the hotel in Ushuaia;
- Group transfer to the ship on day of embarkation;
- Group transfer to airport or central location upon disembarkation in Ushuaia;
- Return flight to EZE international airport for your connection home;
- All scheduled landings and excursions; All lectures and briefings onboard;
- All meals served aboard; Coffee/tea/cocoa/espresso 24 hours daily;
- Welcome drink and farewell dinner onboard;
- Rubber boots for shore landings for the time of the cruise;
- Branded Poseidon Expeditions parka;
- All port fees;
- Pre-departure materials;
- Digital Voyage Log.
RATES DO NOT INCLUDE
- Visa and passport fees (if applicable);
- Luggage and trip cancellation insurance;
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages other than those for special events and celebrations;
- Personal expenses such as laundry and onboard communication (telephone calls, faxes, and e-mail service);
- Fuel surcharge may be applied for all bookings;
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance to a minimum benefit of USD 200,000;
- Staff gratuities;